Friday, April 3, 2009

Cameras 101


When someone asks me, what camera is best? I answer; the one you own, the one you will carry with you, or the one you can afford. As time goes on I will use this blog to explain all of those answers in more detail, but right now I simply want to say that every camera can tell a story.

In the late 1970s I was teaching photography, using mostly film SLRs, and predicted that some day photography would be all electronic. The class was mostly teenagers so they didn't laugh at this outlandish claim, but still, they were going to stick with film.

And then, around March 1995, I saw, at Service Merchandise, the Casio QV10 (specs).


It was expensive, had a whopping .25 Megapixel image, and the store clerk did not know anything about it - so I bought it. Wow! It had a rotating lens, a color LCD monitor, and I was able to download all my pictures to my computer. By the way that rotating lens was a great idea. The original digital cameras had some really great new ideas that sadly, have been pushed to the back burner by all the enthusiasm over the DSLR, but that's a topic for a later blog.

For all you DP (digital photography) newbies, today's (2009) digital cameras all sport 4, 6, 8, 10 or more megapixels. The Casio was .25 that's 250,000 pixels! So I tried experimenting with these limitations. No these were not going to be National Geographic stuff, but the images had a unique quality that I still like today. images

No comments: