Monday, May 6, 2013

Samsung WB800F

I bought my first "smart" camera, the Samsung WB 800F.

Wikipedia defines a smart camera:
A smart camera or "intelligent camera" is a vision system which, in addition to image capture circuitry, is capable of extracting application-specific information from the captured images…
I am going to consider a "smart camera" as one that can do image manipulation before, during, and after the picture is taken - a real photograph maker.

The idea here is the camera is a visual development system that can take pictures in a lot of different ways and edit them all within the camera. This camera does a lot of things, all within its case and I plan to try them all. 

Some noticeable features of the WB 800F camera 
  • 21 times zoom
  • ability to connect via Wi-Fi
  • touch screen
Some of the existing smart phones are really good as cameras, but they just don't have the same optics, yet. For example a 21x zoom, something I seem to need all the time, and the ability to shoot in low light situations are not quite there with smart phones. These needs sent me to find a camera small in size, with decent image quality, and tons of features to explore. I am keeping an open mind with this experiment. I have long ago lost interest in hauling around  a wagon full of lenses and accessories to get that one shot, and I want all the features that the constant software changes (apps) a smart phones offers. We shall see if the current crop of smart cameras does everything on my list.

I am aware that Samsung offers an Android (Internet ready) phone already, but it is a bit expensive and image quality received mediocre reviews, plus one has to subscribe to a phone service.

My plan is to document every feature of this camera with photos demonstrating each setting. We shall see how this works out.

No comments: