Monday, June 29, 2009

Panorama Using the iPhone’s Camera

I am sitting in a chair in my living room looking over some of the photography programs at the App Store for the iPhone, when I come across an application (app) called Pano from Debacle Software ($2.99), so I download it. Within minutes it is installed on my iPhone and I am ready to go. Remember, this is my first panorama, created with Pano and the iPhone, and it is all done without leaving my chair. My iPhone is the 3G, not the very latest one (3GS).

During this photo shoot, I was sitting about 10 feet from the wall. The wall is about 40 feet long. I am using no tripods, and no special lighting. I simply take 5 exposures, using the clever overlay process the Pano app provides. When I am done, the 5 images are stitched together for me and saved in my photos on the iPhone. The final resolution of the completed panorama is 2200 x 788 pixels.

I must admit, I was so anxious to see how this looked on the “big screen”; I transferred the panorama to my desktop computer to view it in Picasa at full resolution, before posting it here. While in Picasa, I did apply a bit of “fill light” to make it look a little brighter, but I could have done all that with another app or two from the iPhone.

Well, it isn’t perfect but I am impressed! Look for more panoramas using the iPhone to be posted here.

1 comment:

callenstewart said...

Looks like it did pretty well! I'm impressed.

Thanks for the review!